Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Check Your Credit

If you didn't know you can now get a free copy of your credit report one time per year from each of the three major credit reporting agencies, so you can actually get one every four months for free by selecting a different agency each time you get one.

Anyways, I finally got around to getting one and there was a problem. In 2002 I got a website and hosted with a company called 1dollarhosting.com aka webcountry and the service was horrible which I should of expected because it was only $1 per month. I finally got tired of the lousy service and canceled the hosting service in 2003 and thought that was the end of it. Well once a year, every year webcountry would charge my credit card and I would have to call my credit card company and have the charge reversed. I would have called webcountry but they charge $19.99 to talk to a person (once again you get what you pay for) and this went on for 3 years and I eventually just canceled the credit card to get rid of them. This brings us to me checking my credit report and seeing a collection on there for $200, $36 for 3 years of service plus some ridicules fees. Well I of course have tried fighting it and it looks like now I have two choices, pay the $200 and have about 5 months of negative reporting on my credit or not pay it and have them continue to report this collection monthly until 2013. I don't care about the $200 it is really just a matter of some company being dishonest and dinging my credit and me not being able to do anything about it because I can not prove I called them 5 years ago and canceled. Also, the better business bureau gives webcountry an F rating.

So the point of all this is take advantage of the free credit report and make sure everything is correct. This problem caused my score to drop 53 points which is really aggravating since we are probably going to buy a house this summer.

-david

PS: I had a root canal this morning and it was/is extremely painful

No comments:

Post a Comment