Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Parenting

When David and I started dating I told him that I wanted to be a mom. It was my goal and something I had a longing heart for. I learned in my first year with Hayden that he changes so fast and the time flies. All I had to do was give Hayden love, attention, and food. There wasn't to much for him to learn. When he turned two the world changed. He was learning a lot. Talking up a storm being able to express his needs and wants. He was able to sing songs and talk about colors. He wanted to cuddle and look at animals in books. He loved Elmo and the color red. He didn't understand Santa or cared to dress up. Now that he has turned 3 the tables are turning. I am learning the hard truth that parenting isn't as easy as it looks. There is a lot more to it. Hayden is a very strong willed child. He likes things his way. I want Hayden to learn respect, self control, kindness, how to forgive, courage, and honesty. When I went to a training about the brain I learned only 6 character traits are wired from birth and the rest are taught. Lately, Hayden has been misbehaving at school. He hasn't been keeping his hands to himself and not following direction. Monday he had an incident report (it basically means that he was asked to do something didn't stop he then went to time out and then continued and so its away to keep track of his behavior). When he came home from school he had to be on punishment (no toys, computers, or TV). He did not like it. He cried and said over and over that he was very sorry and wouldn't do it again. David and I stuck to not giving in. On Tuesday he had a good day. Today not so much. So when he got home he was on punishment. I figured he would listen. He kept doing what he wanted so he had to go to his bed for the rest of the night at 8. I finally understand the saying "it is going to hurt me more then you". It is killing me knowing that Hayden was mad and upset and was crying (as I write this he is sleeping). I caused him to feel this way. I don't want to be the mom that is constantly on him...telling him what to do. I want him to feel he can talk to me and tell me anything. I think during Spring Break I am going to read some books. One of the first I want to get is Dr. Dobson's Strong Willed Child. I have been downloading his podcast and he has a lot of good stuff. One thing that I am learning is I need to be consistent in praying for Hayden. I don't want to pray just for Hayden but for David and I.

On to funny Hayden facts. As Hayden gets older I want to remember all the funny things he said.

Before I start Hayden loves animals...bugs to be exact.

FACTS by Hayden...All of this is Hayden wording.

Bat only come out at night. They suck peoples blood.

We need a chimney for the bats to come in.

Roaches come out at night. They are crawlers.

There are two types of rats roof rats and norway rats. You kill them with the snap trap.

Frogs hop and are green.

Santa only comes during Christmas and at night.

We don't go to school at night.

When the son comes out we go to school.

**I love his animal facts he gets them from books, a show on Netflix called Verminators, and on a website called pebble go.

No comments:

Post a Comment