Sunday, February 13, 2011

Happy Birthday David

This weekend came and went so fast. On Saturday I went to a training about how poverty effects the brain. I learned a lot of neat stuff. I can't believe all the things that a kid in poverty will face by the time they are 5. The thing that caught me off guard the most was that toddlers from middle and upper class used more words when talking to their parents than a mother in poverty used in talking to their own child CRAZY!!! I can't imagine only saying a handful of words a day to Hayden. We are constantly talking to him. Kids in poverty usually have underdeveloped brains so I learned ways to help these students. It was also neat to see how I can challenge Hayden. I loved all of the facts. Hayden got to spend the day with David. Hayden loved every minute of it. I guess that they played a lot because Hayden kept asking me to play games. (David and him make up games and then Hayden corrects me when I don't play it right). Hayden loves building a fort with blankets and pillows. Then when its built you have to tell stories when you are inside of the fort. We did that last night until I fell asleep. Today I made breakfast. We had waffles from scratch, homemade blueberry syrup, and bacon. (The waffles were terrible. If you know a decent recipe let me know). Hayden and I went to the grocery store. When I got home I made David a cake for his birthday party. We went to Chuy's with his family. We had a good time. David told me when we got home that his cake was really good. It was a Heath cake. I made a Hershey chocolate cake then added Heath chips. Baked it then added Heath chips to the top. Baked a few minutes longer, once it cooled made chocolate icing and then iced it. David topped it with crushed up Heath bars. It was very rich and chocolaty but good. Hayden has a cough and a runny nose. David is going to take him to the doctor in the morning. Hayden was begging to go tonight. For awhile we have been buying Hayden cars from the Cars movie. He informed David that he now has 5 cars. Then proceed to list the cars he had. He was so cute because he was being so serious and matter of fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment